Monday, March 21, 2011

How to get a job in advertising 2011 edition


Oh how the mighty have fallen. A few years ago creatives were sending out cover letters that were cocky as all hell.


“If you’re looking for copy that burns, contact me. I’m not gonna give you my phone number. If you’re smart enough to get me, you’ll figure it out.”


Today’s cover letters are a bit more “pathetic”. Filled with a lot more “begging.”


Dear Creative Director, I have over 10 years of experience in advertising. I have 20-30 produced national televisions commercials, including 7 Super Bowl spots. I HAVE awards too numerous to mention and I am related to 22 Academy Award Winning directors (all of who are willing to work for scale if it’s on one of my spots). And I personally created dramatic gopher, keyboard cat and Rick Rolling. I am looking for a full time job in advertising. If you have nothing open…if there is no current position at your office…I would be winning to work….for FREE. Call 24/7.


I wish I was making this up. But I have actually seen many offers to work for free. Now doing any job for nothing sucks. But working in advertising for no money real really sucks. Think about it, you’re selling out for NO MONEY. You would make the same salary just sitting on the couch playing XBOX.


I know, I know….if I get in the door, they’ll find out how talented I am. They’ll dump some no-talent hack and give ME their salary. I have two problems with this scenario:


1. Bad Karma dude

2. They’ll never pay you

3. XBOX

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very significant article for us ,I think the representation of this article is actually superb one. This is my first visit to your site
Advertise On Sama